Back-to-Back Birdies on 18 and the First Playoff Hole Give Lundell the Victory
ERIE, COLORADO—Carson Lundell (Alpine, UT) used a final-round 65, including a 15-foot birdie putt on the 54th hole to force a playoff with Connor Howe (Ogden, UT) and then birdied the first playoff hole (the 17th) to win the inaugural Rocky Mountain Amateur. Connor Howe was tied for the lead heading into the final round, one shot ahead of Lundell. Howe’s final round 66 as a leader is usually good enough to win PGA Tour events but Lundell’s 65 was simply too much to overcome in regulation. Lundell and Howe both were five shots clear of Barela, who finished third at -11. George Leigh (England) and Scott Roden (Dallas, TX) were another shot back in fourth at -10.
- Wednesday’s final round was delayed for 35 minutes for fog as a heavy fog bank rolled through the region in the 8:00 am hour.
- 31 out of 91 players finished 54 holes at EVEN PAR or better
The Rocky Mountain Amateur is the third event in the 2020-21 Troon Saguaro Amateur Series. Colorado National, playing to a yardage of 7650 yards is the home of the University of Colorado men’s and women’s golf teams. For full information on the Troon Saguaro Amateur Series visit www.SaguaroAmateur.com. Full results and live scoring are available at www.2020RockyMountainAmateur.GolfGenius.com. The fourth event in the 2020-21 Troon Saguaro Amateur Series will be the Silverado Amateur, being competed July 29-30 at Silverado Resort and Spa in Napa, California.
1. Carson LUNDELL (Alpine, UT) 66-69-65—200 (-16) (birdie on first playoff hole)
2. Connor HOWE (Ogden, UT) 66-68-66—200 (par on first playoff hole)
3. Griffin BARELA (Lakewood, CO) 66-68-71—205 (-11)
4. George LEIGH (England) 74-64-68—206 (-10)
Scott RODEN (Dallas, TX) 70-68-68—206
6. Canon OLKOWSKI (Las Vegas, NV) 70-69-68—207 (-9)
Dillon STEWART (Fort Collins, CO) 67-71-69—207
Dylan McDERMOTT (Granite Bay, CA) 68-68-71—207
9. Alberto MENACHO (Lima, Peru) 69-71-68—208 (-8)