Castlewood Country Club is a 36-hole private facility, with two fun and challenging golf courses where history abounds.
Families have been spending time on the grounds of Castlewood Country Club for more than a century. George Hearst bought 453 acres of land once part of the Mexican land grant Bernal Rancho SW of Pleasanton in 1886. In 1891, Phoebe inherited the land and hunting lodge that George had built and which Phoebe transformed into her Hacienda. Her mansion featured a wellhead fountain in the courtyard that she and her son William Randolph Hearst purchased from the city of Verona, Italy. Her home was cited as one of the 12 most “stately” homes in California and was the Castlewood clubhouse until it burned down in 1969. Shortly after her death in 1919, the family sold the property to help finance the project at San Simeon known today as Hearst Castle.
The year was 1925 and William Park Bell (Billy Bell) was hired by the new business owners to create the beautiful hillside course we enjoy today. The Hill Course, opened in 1926, is a classic design by the famous William P. Bell, whose creations include Ojai, Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Newport Beach and Bel-Air Country Clubs. Wild drives or a sloppy short game will ruin your day on this challenging scenic layout. The course reaches from the Main Clubhouse just below the Pleasanton Ridge and meanders around the hillside offering spectacular views of the valley below.
The Valley Course is a challenge not because of the elevation changes but because of its length, topography, and rapid greens. This more easily walked layout offers a combination of accessible fairways along with some shorter more challenging par 4’s.