Kapalua Golf To Begin Plantation Course Enhancement Project
Kapalua Golf’s Plantation Course, home of the PGA TOUR’s Sentry Tournament of Champions and one of the top 100 golf courses in the world, will close on February 11, 2019 to undergo a multi-million dollar enhancement project aimed at refining and revitalizing the 27-year-old golf course. The project will be completed in November 2019, in time for the award-winning course to host the 2020 Sentry Tournament of Champions in early January.
Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, the original Plantation Course design team, will assist with the extensive course enhancement project. Troon’s Design/Development/Agronomy team, as well as long-time Maui resident and Golf Channel personality Mark Rolfing, will also provide input on the project.
“All of the Plantation Course refinements will be focused on improving the playability of the golf course for our guests, while also providing new challenges for PGA TOUR professionals,” said Alex Nakajima, general manager, Kapalua Golf & Tennis. “For all of the changes, it’s important to note that the overall Plantation Course layout and routing will remain the same.”
Plantation Course enhancements will include:
- Green complexes will be reconstructed and then resurfaced with Tif Eagle Bermuda grass
- Fairways, rough and tee boxes will be re-grassed using Celebration Bermuda
- Bunkers will be renovated and some will be eliminated or relocated
- Greens will be refined to create more options for hole locations (without changing the character of the greens)
- All existing tee boxes will be rebuilt and additional tees will be added, including a significant number of new forward/family tees. A new combined back tee will be added for holes 3 and 9.
“This will be a very thoughtful restoration and refining process, but it’s not a redesign. We are very happy with the way the course looks and the way it has gone through the past nearly three decades,” said Bill Coore. “It’s like when you have a special piece of art, or something really special to you, and you get a chance to dust if off and make it new again.”
In addition to the on-course enhancements, the Plantation Course Clubhouse will also be renovated. The iconic building will receive a new roof, new doors and windows, and an interior refresh with new paint, flooring, electrical and plumbing in hallways, restrooms and locker rooms. On-course restrooms will also be refreshed.
For more information on Kapalua Golf, visit www.GolfAtKapalua.com or call 1-877-KAPALUA.