THE GROVE AWARDED GOLF’S INTERNATIONAL MARK OF SUSTAINABILITY
Hertfordshire, UK, February 16, 2022) The Grove, Hertfordshire’s ultimate country escape, has been awarded GEO Certified® status, for commitment and efforts to achieve the credible international standard for sustainable golf course operation.
GEO Certification is assured by GEO Foundation for Sustainable Golf– the not-for-profit organisation dedicated to delivering programmes that help people on the ground to evaluate, improve and credibly communicate their sustainability work.
GEO Certified is the symbol of a great golf environment, confirming that the Troon-managed facility satisfies all the certification criteria; meeting a credible standard in the areas of nature, resources, climate and community, and is committed to continual improvement.
The Grove’s certification process was led by Golf Course and Estate Manager, Phillip Chiverton, Head Greenkeeper, Sam Reid, and Head Gardener, Natasha Geldenhuys.
The comprehensive Certification Report can be viewed HERE. It provides an account of the progress and continued commitment made to wider sustainability.
Brad Gould, Director of Golf at The Grove, commented: “We are very proud to receive GEO Certified and thank Phillip, Sam and Natasha for leading this vitally important work. The Grove continues to show how an approach to fostering nature, conserving resources and strengthening the community is fundamental to running a profitable and highly respected golf facility.
“Achieving this international recognition underlines a truly exceptional team effort that encompasses many ongoing practical, social and environmental initiatives that are widespread across our golf operation and beyond.”
GEO Foundation’s Richard Allison, Manager of GEO Certified Facilities, added:
“The Grove has demonstrated a comprehensive commitment to advancing sustainable golf on the site. There’s also an appetite to extend this beyond the course and grounds through its sustainable purchasing policy and elimination of single-use plastics. It’s fantastic to see such a cohesive sustainability strategy being implemented across all business areas. Congratulations to everyone involved in achieving GEO Certified status.”
GEO Certified is recognised by the ISEAL Alliance, a group of the world’s foremost credible certification systems including Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance, Forest Stewardship Council, Marine Stewardship Council and many others.
The Grove’s Sustainable Golf Highlights:
- Rainfall compensation systems automatically shut down irrigation if rainfall reaches a pre-determined rate (water savings of up to 30% annually).
- Soil moisture levels are constantly monitored and computer-controlled allowing accurate delivery by volume and location across the golf course.
- Minimised areas of managed turf reduce mowing, irrigation and use of chemicals – The Grove actively uses organic fertilisers and more bio products on its golf course.
- Investment in making the golf course irrigation system more efficient with new nozzles directing water to essential playing surfaces only.
- Collaboration with Hertfordshire & Middlesex Wildlife Trust to create areas of naturalised habitat, including River Gade chalk stream conservation, maintenance of native fescue grasses, and the introduction of wildflower areas (Operation Pollinator).
- New wetland area within woodland close to the 5th hole, creating a perfect environment in which newts, frogs, water vowels and dragonflies can thrive.
- Ongoing investment in renewable energy programmes.
- Management of woodlands, removing bad trees, creating new habitats for wildlife and replanting where appropriate.
- Continual promotion of the physical and mental health benefits of golf, and the wider opportunities it gives to engage with nature.
- Ongoing investment in training and education of the greenkeeping team.
- Active procurement of locally sourced products and services.
Supporting it’s drive for increased sustainability across all facets of the business, The Grove continues to covet its position as a premium open-to-all leisure facility and one of the UK’s Top 100 golf resorts, just 18 miles from central London.
It was also recently named one of Europe’s Top 100 Modern Courses, by Golf World, and ‘England’s Golf Hotel of the Year’ at the World Golf Awards.
The 18-hole rolling parkland golf course, designed by Kyle Phillips, remains the only venue in the UK to have hosted a World Golf Championship event (in 2006, won by Tiger Woods). It has also hosted the DP World Tour’s British Masters in 2016.
Beyond its pristine fairways and greens, The Grove’s 18th-century Mansion houses 26 rooms, suites and lounges decorated with a 21st-century spin on vintage glamour.
There’s also the thoroughly modern West Wing with a further 189 deluxe, superior and family rooms. Many of these rooms have balconies and terraces looking over immaculate formal gardens.
For further information: www.thegrove.co.uk
– ENDS –
Picture caption: Sustainability strategies continue to be implemented across The Grove’s estate, including on and around its critically-acclaimed golf course, seen here from the 3rd hole.
Press release issued by LANDMARK, on behalf of The Grove.
Tel: +44 (0) 7595 906196
Notes for Editors:
The Grove is situated in 300 acres of historic Hertfordshire countryside. It remains the only UK venue to have hosted a World Golf Championship event, won by Tiger Woods in 2006, and features a Kyle Phillips-designed 18-hole course, luxury five-star hotel and spa.
Open-to-all, The Grove’s parkland golf course is famed for its all-year-round pristine playing conditions, and consistently features in many influential Top 100 rankings, including those produced by Golf Monthly and Golf World Magazines and the Top100golfcourses.com website.
About GEO Foundation for Sustainable Golf
GEO Foundation is the international not-for-profit dedicated to advancing sustainability in and through golf. Its goal is to work collaboratively to help the sport embrace environmental and social issues and become widely acclaimed for its role in fostering nature, conserving resources, taking climate action and strengthening communities. In addition to its strategic support through partnerships with associations, GEO assures the OnCourse® programmes for grassroots golf facilities, new developments and tournaments, each of which can lead to the internationally accredited, endorsed and independently verified GEO Certified® label.