Congrats to Justin Thomas for capturing his 14th PGA Tour Victory at The Players this weekend…in exciting fashion. He got off to a slower start after shooting 71 – 71… but had a blistering weekend shooting 64-68 to finish 14 under and capture the title. He started the final round three shots behind Lee Westwood and got hot in the middle of the round. So hot he was actually 5 under from holes 9 through 12. This was an emotional victory for Justin and the Thomas family as it was his first victory since the passing of his grandfather, Paul (a P.G.A. Professional), last month. It seemed as if his grandfather was looking over him yesterday and willing him to the victory. Both Justin and his father got emotional in post tournament interviews, making this victory one to remember and reflect…more on that below.
Interesting facts about Justin Thomas’ win:
- Thomas was outside the cut line after nine holes on Friday but rallied with four birdies on the back nine to make the cut
- In the final round he hit 17 of 18 greens…just missing the 18th by a few inches. Post round he stated it was “as good as I have ever played tee-to-green”
- With the win Thomas became only the fourth player to win a major, the Players Championship, the FedEx Cup and a World Golf Championship.
- His closing 36-hole score of 12 under par was a tournament record
- With the victory Thomas moved up to #2 in the Official World Golf Rankings and #2 in the Fed Ex Cup Points Standings.
The other Team Troon highlight from The Players was the solid play of Matt Fitzpatrick. It seems as if the last time he was out of the Top 10 was last year sometime. This week was no exception as he finished T9 at -8. His Top 10 finished moved him up in the Fed Ex Cup points standings from 72 to 63 and his stellar play also got additional great coverage of his all Troon Bag throughout the tournament.
Complete Team Troon finishes are as follows:
- 1st: Justin Thomas: 71 – 71 – 64 – 68 -14
- T9: Matthew Fitzpatrick: 68 – 68 – 72 – 72 -8
View this post on Instagram
Justin Thomas’ Troon logo bag received some great coverage on the weekend telecast (both Golf Channel and NBC). Click Here to view
Mike Thomas and his Troon logoed cap and shirt got great TV time on Sunday during the NBC Broadcast (as he and Justin embraced following the final putt). Additionally, the Troon logos got Golf Channel airtime during this really emotional and moving interview conducted by Todd Lewis. Check it out:
Coming Up This Week
The PGA TOUR stays in Florida and slides south for the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens. Alex Noren is the Team Troon representative in the field this week. Go Alex!
Also coming up this week… best of luck to the Longbow Golf Club team in Mesa, Arizona, who will be hosting the Symetra Tour Carlisle Classic. This inaugural event falls during an LPGA Tour off week. As such, the field will be stacked with both those aspiring to be on the LPGA Tour and LPGA Tour veterans. Also in the field is an interesting story in the host facility sponsor exemption: Rose Zhang. Zhang is ranked No. 1 in both the Rolex American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) Rankings and the World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR), and captured the 2020 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship. Rock it this week Team Longbow!
Thank you for all you do. And Go Team Troon!